School’s back! And our kids will start getting into the reading spirit. For those with toddlers and preschoolers … or even those with infants and babies on the way: Below are my son Ryder’s favorite books as a toddler and during his preschool years (ages 2-5). These may be a little boy-centric … and reading is such a personal thing even for little ones that yours will probably vary. Regardless, here’s a good start to our favorite children’s books:
Here’s a look at my son’s top 10 favorite books in his toddler and preschool years (in no particular order):
- Tiger Tiger. It’s a colorful book for the kids … and a fun one for parents to read – allowing us to dramatize and make the book our own production.
- Wings, Horns and Things. Not only is about almost any little boy’s favorite topic – Dinosaurs – but it helpfully spells out the pronunciation of all those crazy dinosaur names. I read this so much with my son that he was saying Compsognathus at three.
- Barn Dance. If you don’t mind trying out a little singing with your reading, your child will love this book. Other than that, I can’t quite figure out why my son loved this so much. It’s one of those.
- Slinky Malinki. There’s something about a poetic children’s read … and my son loved the silly things this troublemaker cat dragged home.
- Good Night Moon. A classic and easily available at every major retailer and most baby stores. It’s a fun, simple read – and must have the just the perfect amount of colors and items on each page for little minds to enjoy.
- Over in the Garden. It’s a lyrical read for parents – and there’s the added fun of trying to find the hidden number on each page.
- Curious George. This catalog of Curious George stories was always a joy. My son took almost more time trying to figure out which story he wanted to read than we did reading the actual story.
- How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? This is a delightful, delightful story … the humor of docile dinosaur going to bed is fun for mom.
- Courage of the Blue Boy. This tale is a colorful adventure and my son loved it.
- Did I Ever Tell You How Luck You Are? I knew a Dr. Seuss book would end up in our top 10 … and I was a little surprised this was it. Though after reading it a million times, I’m glad it was this … each page has an ridiculous adventure and story of its own and even I didn’t get sick of reading it.
And since top 10 isn’t enough … I added in my personal favorite: Skippyjon Jones … and here’s a perfect excerpt to show/explain why it’s the best:
My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I’m sweet like the Jell-O,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.
Find any of these books on
Amazon.com: Books for Her, Top 10 Children’s Books for Toddlers-Preschoolers
We’d love to add some your children’s favorites to the list too – so please leave a comment and we’ll compile to post another top list.
Tell us: What books would you add to this list of favorite toddler/preschool books to read:
One thought on “Top 10 Books for Toddlers/Preschoolers”
Thanks for the list! However i wouldnt jump into the books myself. Reading program is a must to evolve disciplined child. If someone will find this useful: